Begonia mixed doubles
- Position: full sun to partial shade
- Soil: any well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast
- Flowering period: June to October
- Flower colour: mixed
- Hardiness: tender, so store frost free over winter
- Bulb Size: 4-6cm
Begonias are valued for their showy flowers, which appear for a very long period from early summer. They are one of the best bedding plants for areas of partial shade, as a lack of direct sun all day does not seem to have any significant impact on their ability to produce an abundance of flowers. The tubers (bulbs) in this fab collection will produce plants that flower in an array of bright colours, which will liven up the summer garden. Dot them around the front of the border, or cram your pots and window boxes with them.
- Garden care:Pot up in early spring when the growth can be seen emerging from the tubers. Begonias are tender so must be protected by frosts, however you can pot them up and grow them on under glass from January onwards. The indented side of the tuber is the top, and this should just be covered by a fine layer of compost. Water well and keep them in a bright, warm spot, watering again only when the soil becomes quite dry. Once they are actively growing they can be watered more regularly, especially those growing in sunnier positions, but make sure that the compost or soil is never overly wet or waterlogged. During the growing season they can be fed with a balanced liquid fertiliser. Begonias grown in the ground should be lifted before the first hard frosts and left to die back before being stored in a well ventilated, dry place over the winter. Container-grown plants should be brought under cover during winter and 'potted on' into a slightly larger container each year in spring.