Astrantia Superstar (syn 'White Giant')
masterwort (syn. White Giant )
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moist, preferably humus-rich soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to August
- Flowers: greenish- white
- Other features: the flowers are excellent for cutting and drying
- Hardiness: fully hardy
The large, greenish-white flowerheads look like pincushions surrounded by a spidery ruff of green-tinted, white bracts. These are produced en masse above the lobed, dark green leaves from early summer to autumn adding bobbles of colour to the border. Astrantias have become the 'darlings of the designers' in recent years as they lend themselves to most styles of planting, and mix happily with most plants.
- Garden care: Incorporate plenty of organic matter when planting and water well in dry weather especially newly established plants. Lift and divide large clumps in early spring and apply a generous 5-7 cm mulch of well-rotted manure or garden compost around the plant. Divided specimens may take some time to establish since they don't like having their roots disturbed.