Aquilegia vulgaris var. stellata 'Ruby Port'
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average to fast-growing
- Flowering period: May to June
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Fully double, deep maroon, nodding flowers sit on top of stiffly upright stems from early summer. Their rich colour works well with other ‘bruised’ tones, sulphur yellows and acid greens.
- Garden care: Lift and divide large clumps in early spring and apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted manure or garden compost around the plant. Divided specimens may take some time to establish since they don't like having their roots disturbed. Contact with the sap may cause skin irritation.