Rudbeckia fulgida 'Early Bird Gold' (PBR)
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: moderately fertile, preferably heavy but well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: June to October
- Flower colour: orange-yellow
- Other features: toothed, mid-green leaves; excellent, long lasting cut-flowers
- Hardiness: fully hardy
A breakthrough in breeding has resulted in this wonderful new plant, which will start to flower up to 2 months earlier than its parent R. Goldsturm. It has only been on the American market (where it was first discovered by a grower in Plaquemine, Louisiana) for a couple of years, and this year (2011) it is making its debut throughout Europe. We have managed to secure some of the first plants to reach our shores, so naturally we are quite excited about it all. The most intriguing thing about this new variant is that it is not dependent on the length of the day to induce flowering. Therefore it is possible for it to start flowering in early summer and not finish until mid to late autumn - an impressive feat I'm sure you will agree!
- Garden care: Lift and divide congested colonies in autumn or spring. Support with ring stakes or brushwood well before the flowers appear.