Acer palmatum 'Orange Dream'
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moist, well-drained neutral to acid soil
- Rate of growth: slow-growing
- Flowering period: April to May (but the red-purple flowers are insignificant)
- Other features: good autumn colour
- Hardiness: fully hardy
When it emerges in spring the palmate foliage has a vibrant orange flush, which turns a greenish yellow as it matures. In autumn the leaves take on a strong yellow hue before they drop. A fine specimen for a small garden or large container.
- Garden care: Add a top dressing of a multi-purpose fertiliser around the base of the plant in late spring. No routine pruning is required.