himalayan blue poppy
- 9cm pot
- available within:
- to order from summer 2014
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: humus rich, moist, well drained, neutral to slightly acid soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: June to July
- Other features: toothed, hairy, bluish green leaves
- Hardiness: fully hardy
From early to midsummer, branching bristly stems carry several shallow, bowl-shaped, flowers in shades of sky blue to pinkish-lavender well above the tufted foliage. Ideal for the edges of a woodland where there is reliable moisture in summer.
These plants can be quite difficult to grow, so are probably better suited to the more experienced gardener.
- Garden care: Stake with bamboo canes or brushwood before the flowers appear. Deadhead regularly to prolong flowering. Apply a generous 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of bark chippings, well-rotted leaf mould or composted pine needles around the base of the plant in spring.