- 2 litre pot
- available within:
- 2 weeks
- Position: full sun
- Soil: any soil except very wet
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Other features: sweet fruits ready to harvest in late summer
- Hardiness: fully hardy once established (some protection may be needed in its first winter)
Originating from the Himalayas and hailed as a super-food which can be used for boosting your immune system and cleansing impurities, the berries of this plant are said to be very high in vitamin C and iron. This is a fast and easy to grow shrub, which produces white and purple, trumpet shaped flowers in early summer. These are followed by shiny red berries, which can either be eaten straight off the bush, or dried and eaten like sweet, mildly licorice flavoured treats later on. It can also be grown in a good sized tub on a sunny patio, provided it is kept well fed and watered. They like to be well established before they start to produce fruit though, so it will usually take around 2 or 3 years to produce its first crop.
(please note that the plants we sell are produced within the EU.)
- Garden care: Prepare the ground well before planting. Remove all weeds and dig in plenty of well-rotted manure in to the area. Each spring mulch well with well-rotted manure to help keep the soil moist and add nutrients. Any necessary pruning should be undertaken in spring, as the plant starts to put on new growth, but to ensure a good crop of berries it is best kept to a minimum.