Herb collection - herb plug plants
- Position: full sun
- Soil: humus-rich, moisture retentive soil
- Rate of growth: fast
- Hardiness: tender
Herbs are brilliant plants which can be grown in very small spaces as long as there is a good amount of sun. This collection will not only look good, they will taste good too and can be used in loads of different ways in the kitchen.
Suitable for filling two troughs on a couple of sunny windowsills, or pot them into containers and leave them on the patio close to the kitchen door.
The contents in the collection will vary depending on the season, but usually contains many of the following plants -
- basil This aromatic herb is great in tomato dishes both hot and cold and is the main ingrediant of the Italian pesto sauce.
- thyme The aromatic leaves are a useful ingredient in bouquet garni, stuffings and sauces.
- spearmint - aromatic bright green leaves that can be used for mint sauce, salads and summer drinks. The dense spikes of pink, lilac or white are a bonus.
- dill - feathery, blue-green, aniseed-flavoured leaves topped with flat heads of tiny, yellow flowers in midsummer. The seeds can also be used as a spice.
- flat leaved parsley - a staple ingredient in Italian, French and Middle Eastern cuisine, it has a delicious flavour and will continue to produce more when cut back.
- coriander - an important ingredient of Asian cuisine, the leaves can be harvested throughout the growing season and the seeds when they begin to change colour.
Please note: The contents of this pack will vary slightly depending upon the season.
- Garden care: Remove the packs from their box upon arrival. If left in a bright spot they can stay in their sealed bags for up to a week before planting. After planting make sure they are kept well watered and feed with a liquid fertiliser that is high in potash throughout. the growing season. You may need to provide growing supports for the taller plants.