Pennisetum setaceum 'Rubrum'
- Position: full sun
- Soil: light, moderately fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: average
- Flowering period: July to September
- Flower colour: dark purple
- Other features: self-seeds freely; the flowers are useful for fresh or dried flower arrangements
- Hardiness: frost hardy (will need winter protection)
Deep red to burgundy foliage with small, bristly red-purple flower spikes from July to September. This gorgeous ornamental grass looks great planted in a large clump where the flower spikes swaying in the breeze are a real eye catcher. For best results plant in a sunny spot in light moderately fertile, well-drained soil and shelter from extreme winter cold. Its highly recommended that this plant is bought in to a frost free place in winter.
- Garden care: To halt the spread of the plant remove any unwanted self-sown seedlings as part of routine spring border maintenance. Deciduous in colder areas, it will need protection from winter cold and wet.