Parthenocissus tricuspidata 'Veitchii'
- 2 litre pot
- available within:
- 2-3 weeks
- Position: full sun or shade
- Soil: fertile, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to August
- Hardiness: fully hardy
This vigorous climber has glossy, bright green foliage, which will quickly cover a large north or east-facing wall. The foliage can vary in shape between deeply toothed, three-lobed leaves, to three seperate leaflets, but it all turns spectacular shades of red-purple in autumn if planted in a partially shaded spot. Mature specimens also provide an important habitat for insects and small birds. But this plant must be handled with care; it needs plenty of space, no competition from other plants and regular pruning to keep it within bounds. Not one for small gardens or for laissez-faire gardeners.
- Garden care: Provide some support until the plant is well established. (This may take up to two years). Once established, tie in stray shoots and prune in autumn or early winter to keep the plant within bounds, paying particular attention to stems that are encroaching on windows, guttering or roofs.