Astrantia 'Roma' (PBR)
- Position: full sun or partial shade
- Soil: fertile, moist, preferably humus-rich soil
- Rate of Growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: June to September
- Flowers: soft pink
- Other features: excellent cut and dried flowers
- Hardiness: fully hardy
- Garden care: Incorporate plenty of organic matter when planting and water well in dry weather especially newly established plants. Lift and divide large clumps in early spring and apply a generous 5-7 cm mulch of well-rotted manure or garden compost around the plant. Divided specimens may take some time to establish since they don't like having their roots disturbed.
Delicate, papery, soft pink flowers which are held on wiry stems above attractive deeply lobed, mid-green leaves. This delightful masterwort is a vigorous variety with a much longer flowering period than most pink or red varieties. It looks particularly fetching planted with grasses and is garden designer, Piet Oudolf's favourite masterwort.
Astrantias have been cultivated in Britain since the 16th century and have numerous common names, such as melancholy gentleman, Hattie's pincushion and the more well known masterwort.