Hosta fortunei var. albopicta
- Position: partial or full shade
- Soil: fertile, moist, well-drained soil
- Rate of growth: fast-growing
- Flowering period: July and August
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Slender, heart-shaped, creamy-yellow leaves with dark green margins and spikes of funnel-shaped, mauve summer flowers. The margins of this vigorous, yellow-leaved hosta gradually fade to mid-green. Best in full sun with shade at midday and protection from cold winds, it makes a great groundcover plant for a moist, well-drained border.
- Garden care: Add a generous amount of well-rotted garden compost or leaf-mould when planting. Protect the young foliage from slugs, deadhead the faded blooms and apply a 5-7cm (2-3in) mulch of well-rotted organic matter around the base of the plant each spring.