Picea glauca var. albertiana 'Conica'
- 3 litre pot 60cm
- available within:
- to order from winter 2013
- Position: full sun
- Soil: deep, moist, well-drained, neutral to acid soil
- Rate of growth: slow-growing
- Other features: ash-grey bark
- Hardiness: fully hardy
Perfect for a short-term, table-top Christmas tree, this conifer may not come as a perfect pyramid, but it looks charming, especially when adorned with decorations, lights or tinsel. Try to keep it in a cool, bright room and move it outside as soon as possible after Christmas, where you can enjoy it for the rest of the year. It is currently around 65cm tall (including the pot) and has beautiful, blue-green, needle-like leaves. As it matures it will also produce oval, green summer cones that age to brown. A slow-growing, broadly conical, evergreen conifer is an excellent specimen tree for a small, sunny garden. Best in moist, well-drained, neutral to acid soil or ericaceous compost if you wish to keep it in a pot.
- Garden care: To maintain the plant's distinctive shape remove any misplaced or diseased branches in winter.